Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 11:11:53 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
I tried a 30W CFL in our hall pendant fitting a couple or three years
ago. It was claimed to be equivalent to a 130W incandescent lamp AFAICR
but my impression was that it seemed no brighter than a 100W
incandescent lamp which makes me suspect that the wattage equivilency
for CFLs is still based on the UK and European 240 and 220 volt 1000
hour lamps rather than the much brighter American 120v 750 hour lamps
which is the benchmark for LED lamps.

Never really understood why makers need to lie about light output. Does
it sell more to the gullible? It certainly annoys those who expect such
claims to be true.

If there is any element of "lying" in manufacturers' published
specifications, it's normally the usual matter of "Lying by Ommission" as
per the advertising industry's standard practice. In this case, the
omission related to the specifics of filament voltage and design hours
life rating used in America where the thicker shorter filaments can be
run a little hotter (improving efficacy) and trading a bit of life (by
running the filaments a touch hotter again to improve efficacy even
further) against energy cost to optimise the overall running costs for
domestic customers.

If they claimed the light output was say equivalent to the 60w (or
whatever) GLS, most would know and, if it turned out to be better, who
would complain?

True enough, so my guess is they chose the most difficult to satisfy
tungsten filament lamp benchmark, the American one, in order to keep the
blurb about the 'advantages' printed on their product packaging regionless
and nice and simple and to a minimum.

I was just pointing out to anyone who hadn't yet read the wikipedia
articles on lamps and lighting technologies, the good news that this
806Lm 60W bulb reference was to a higher standard than what we in the UK
would normally associate with a "60 Watt incandescent light bulb".

I enjoy providing "Good News" so it's been by pleasure to point out the
above 'factoid' about LED lamps. However, to summarise and keep it all in
context, my next statement, comprising three items of "news", is more of
a **** sandwich.

The good news, as above, is that "You never had it so good." (in regard
of light output). The "Bad News" is that heat kills LEDs, but the final
"Good News" item is that the efficiency improvements of the latest LED
lamps means you can now use an LED of equivalent light output of a 60 (or
100) watt GLS lamp in a fitting that would otherwise have fried the older
versions of LED lamps in rather short order.

--
Johnny B Good