Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 12:48:48 PM UTC-4, Blake Snyder wrote:

I do all the above, except dismounting tires at home.

That's fine as I *know* most people don't dismount tires just like most
people don't dig their own fencepost holes.

The difference of course is that a hole digger is about the size of a
shovel, sits easily in the corner, and doesn't have to be mounted to
the garage floor. Tire changing eqpt is large, bulky and does have
to be floor mounted. And if I had the need to dig a bunch of holes,
I'd rent a power tool.

You don't have to *like* the task. I never said you did.

The only thing I'll say, since I've done plenty of tires, is that it's so
easy that anyone who complains that it's difficult hasn't ever done it or
is an idiot who can't figure out how it's done.

Likewise, anyone who complains that the tools cost too much is merely
proving they can't do the simplest of math problems spanning the time
period of the useful life of their tools.

It's not the cost, it's the size, bulkiness, they need to be mounted
to the garage floor. And then that you need to BALANCE the tires
after they are mounted. What's the point to having the eqpt to mount
tires, when that's only half of the process?

The real reason people don't do it is that they don't like doing it, which
is fine. Nobody is forcing anyone to like anything.

Just don't make stuff up about the job.

I didn't make up anything.

Just tell the truth to yourself.
And to others.

a. It's easy and convenient to fix flat tires whenever you feel like it.
b. The tools are no more expensive than any others you have in the shop.
c. It just takes a little knowledge (which many people may not ever have).

What makes a source the best?

I can tell you the best source of pool chlorine in my area if you ask me,
and it's not the big box hardware stores.

I can tell you the best brand of chainsaw to buy and you're not going to
find that brand at Sears.

I can tell you the place in town to get whiteout, but it's not going to be
at Staples or OfficeDepot.

How do I know such things?

The simple question was what makes a source for your patch plugs a good
one. You said you've gotten handfuls from local shops for free, you
said you know where to buy them 5 at a time online. So, what's the
problem? Without knowing what criteria are required, it can't be
answered.

Because of two factors inherent with this thing called "experience":
. I have bought the *wrong* stuff and suffered because of that
. I have bought the *right* stuff and benefited from that.

Take for example the suggestion to path and plug. I've done it.
Everyone has done it. It's so easy to do that it's the first thing you'll
try.

It's not my first thing. My first thing for a simple nail is a rope
type plug, without taking the tire off the car. Been there, done it,
it works.

But once I received a bona-fide patchplug gratis from a tire shop, I was
instantly *sold* on the beauty of the thing. It's a work of art, really.

It just *feels* great to patch plug so professionally beautifully.
How do I know this?

Because I have experience in all the methods of patching a tire.

If you're so experienced, why don't you know where to source the
patch plugs?