Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On 10/24/2017 12:48 PM, Blake Snyder wrote:

We all know this.
Those people should not respond if they don't know the answer.

If I need that, I just go to a tire shop, where it's done quickly
and inexpensively.

And people with lawns hire landscapers to mow it.
And people with driveways hire asphalt guys to tarblack it.
And people with pools hire a pool company to maintain it.

Those people aren't ever going to know the answer to any related question.
They can only guess.

I can guess too. I don't want to guess.
I'd rather learn from someone who has purchased & used the patches.

For example, now that I've done perhaps 25 patches, I *know* which I like
best, and it's the patchplugs - by far. I even know *why* I like them.

Do the others work.
Yes.

I do all the above, except dismounting tires at home.

That's fine as I *know* most people don't dismount tires just like most
people don't dig their own fencepost holes.

You don't have to *like* the task. I never said you did.

The only thing I'll say, since I've done plenty of tires, is that it's so
easy that anyone who complains that it's difficult hasn't ever done it or
is an idiot who can't figure out how it's done.

Likewise, anyone who complains that the tools cost too much is merely
proving they can't do the simplest of math problems spanning the time
period of the useful life of their tools.

The real reason people don't do it is that they don't like doing it, which
is fine. Nobody is forcing anyone to like anything.

Just don't make stuff up about the job.
Just tell the truth to yourself.
And to others.

a. It's easy and convenient to fix flat tires whenever you feel like it.
b. The tools are no more expensive than any others you have in the shop.
c. It just takes a little knowledge (which many people may not ever have).

What makes a source the best?

I can tell you the best source of pool chlorine in my area if you ask me,
and it's not the big box hardware stores.

I can tell you the best brand of chainsaw to buy and you're not going to
find that brand at Sears.

I can tell you the place in town to get whiteout, but it's not going to be
at Staples or OfficeDepot.

How do I know such things?
Because of two factors inherent with this thing called "experience":
. I have bought the *wrong* stuff and suffered because of that
. I have bought the *right* stuff and benefited from that.

Take for example the suggestion to path and plug. I've done it.
Everyone has done it. It's so easy to do that it's the first thing you'll
try.

But once I received a bona-fide patchplug gratis from a tire shop, I was
instantly *sold* on the beauty of the thing. It's a work of art, really.

It just *feels* great to patch plug so professionally beautifully.
How do I know this?

Because I have experience in all the methods of patching a tire.

I'm only asking for people's experience.
I don't need or want guesses.

I'm truly impressed. You have a nice set of rules as to who can reply
to you and you also have experience patching tires. Not may of us have
your ability and yes, we are in awe of you.

I admit, I've never changed car tire. I just don't have your skills
and ability so I won't go beyond fixing bicycle tires. Well, not the
actual tire but the tube inside of it.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.