Posted to alt.home.repair
Blake Snyder Blake Snyder is offline

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On 24 Oct 2017 15:56:50 GMT, in ,
notbob wrote:

I can tell you an "inside patch" is not the answer.

My experience:

I got a flat on the way to work. Stopped at one of many of the 'gas
stations' which still had tire service and told them, "a heated inside
patch", only! They tried twice, then did a 'plug'. The plug worked!
The 'inside hot patch' did not! I went on my way with a single
"plug".

nb

In the olden days, they use the flame-vulcanized patches, but that's before
my time AFAIK. They might still use heat vulcanization, but I read every
RMA document I could and I have many times talked to the RMA reps, where
they never recommended heat-cured patch processes to me.

The correct process is pretty simple though and works just fine.

1. Inspect the tire for the myriad things that can fail it.
(Note that this can't be done without removing the tire from the rim.)
2. Prepare the tire using all the normal methods.
3. Patchplug the tire from the inside (and test).

It's so easy to do right that the main reason people don't do it at home is
simply that they don't want to, which is just fine, but those people who
don't do it won't have the answer to the question.

Anyone can just guess.
I can guess even better than most people.

But I wasn't asking for a guess.
I was asking for experience.