Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand Reaming and Drilling

On 10/23/2017 4:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I sometimes find its easiest to grab a chucking reamer to clean up a
hole and spin it by hand. No, not gripped between my finger tips. LOL.
Occasionally I need to do something similar with a small drill bit.
I've used a variety of things. One that works, but isn't very easy to
get a good feel for is to grip the bit or reamer in a pair of locking
pliers. I don't care for it much, but right now there are two drill
bits locked in locking pliers hanging from the pegboard behind my tackle
making bench.

Today I needed to use a reamer to clean out some rather longish holes in
a mold at an odd angle. I suppose I should have reamed them before I
removed the plates from the angle vise, but (a) I forgot, and (b) I
figured the drill bit that made the hole would have made it slightly
oversized anyway.

So I found myself using a .126 reamer by hand to clean out a core pin
hole. I grabbed a small keyless chuck I acquired somewhere that has a
1/2" shank, and used it as a bit holder. It worked great. It might
have been better if it had a big screw driver handle on it, but it was
an order of magnitude better than using some locking pliers to hold the
reamer. Now I can make such a contraption. It would be pretty easy.
I've got three or four small drill chucks that are pretty decent, but
then I thought. I can't be the only person to ever need to hand drive a
small drill bit or a small reamer. I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm)
capacity keyless chuck on the end of a middle size screw driver would be
ideal for this sort of work. Somebody must have made one already.
Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I usually find myself dealing
with this on the smaller bits and reamers.

---
http://www.avg.com

I often use a tap handle.