Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default water meter - spinner running fast and slow

On 10/23/2017 5:46 AM, Lenny Jacobs wrote:
On 23-Oct-17 3:18 PM, Bubba wrote:
On 10/22/2017 10:50 PM, Lenny Jacobs wrote:
My water line leaks. When checking the meter, I found the spinner
running fast and slow, not at a constant speed. The high speed was
about three times faster than the slow speed. The cycle is about six
seconds at slow speed and two or three seconds at high speed.

I wonder what causes the fluctuation, water pressure?

I'd look for a malfunctioning device with an automatic fill valve like
a toilet, water softener, swamp cooler, commercial ice machine, hot
water heating system or furnace humidifier.

Among the devices you mentioned, I only have toilets.

This meter is for a multi-unit building. I have shut off valves to every
unit. Yet, it still leaks. That's why I believe it is the water line
that's leaking, not the devices connected to the water line.

You shut the vales, but did that stop the flow of water? Old valve not
often use can still allow a good flow.