Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 00:08:49 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:08:40 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:16:30 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

You wonder how companies can afford to survive with things like that.
I was almost mugged for attempting to plug a guy's cord in during the
setup at COMDEX back in the '90s. Union guys went ape**** when I
pointed out the lack of connection and walked over to make it for the
vendor, like a nice guy. They made it clear that it was thea union
sparky's job and nobody else was "legally" allowed to do it. Scared
the **** out of me, it did. I tiptoed around the rest of the trip.
I never much liked unions, but I've really disliked them after that.

You don't carry a 'suicide cord' for those types?

I was surprised I didn't feel any garrotes that day. :-Q

A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for 240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

I used mine to work on equipment with a missing or cut off power
cord. They can be made for any voltage or connector, but it's suicide if
you get careless.

Yeah, alligator clips are pretty damned iffy, always popping off and
shorting pins at the least desirable time. Toss in line voltage and
yer talkin' Widowmakers.

Mine has a piggyback plug, so you can take someone else with you. Or
plug your test equipment in without losing an outlet.

Here is an example:

http://www.americord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/-/5-15pb_series_to_roj.jpg

Very nice idea! Whatever happened to the $1 power cord? Now they're
ten bucks a pop in quantity from most vendors, including Ebay.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon