Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Power lights in loft from lighting circuit help please

On 23/10/2017 12:44, Yam man wrote:

replying to Andy Burns, Yam man wrote: You're opinion please the
busbar you mention is it the copper metal thing at the bottom of the
mcbs? so licking that clean ain't a good idea??:-)

Any of the common terminal strips (earth and neutral) and also the
strips of "fingers" that connect to the base of each of the MCBs are bus
bars.

Some CUs include a cover for the live bar for some extra protection.
However you always need to take care when a CU is open, since even when
"off" there are some live bits.

The earth wire previously stated isn't connected to nothing I removed
and pushed back into wall behind bathroom sink where it has been for
over 6 years pic of it Inc.

That was likely a supplementary bonding wire. It does not need to
connect back to the CU, but would usually connect to all the bits of
metalwork in the bathroom, that would be capable of bringing a voltage
(or even 0V or an earth reference) into the room.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_and_Bonding

We have 4 main earth wires coming from cu
can you tell me on tt system were these would go? 1 goes to gas pipe
just 1 n half foot away from my gas meter I think? We're would other
3 go to?

1 will hopefully be the connection to you main earth - which is likely
to be an earth stake or spike.

The others are typically main bonding conductors. You would expect one
to go to each metallic service where it enters the house, so gas, and
water typically.

If you had oil heating for example, then the incoming oil pipe. If the
building had a steel frame, then perhaps that.

(sometimes you also see supplementary bonding conductors brought back to
the CU - this is not necessary, but its clear that some electricians
have not always understood the practice properly).

Don't worry I'm not going hunting for them or anything just
trying to educate myself (and others reading) a little further on
this type of system. John explained how to test cu I'm not confident
in my abilities to try that hence why I didn't do it. Great forum
some great help thanks to all . https://www.homeownershub.com/img/bj
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/bk

--
Cheers,