Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Discoloration on surface of new teak table

"Steve" wrote in message
For the record, I also agree with the posters who said that aged teak looks
nice-- my assumption is that you're trying to preserve what you see 'now'.

Furthermore, the poster (sorry, I'm on my cell) who noted that the UV will
get it either way is also dead on-- doesn't matter whether it's teak or PT-
at the end of the day there's no transparent coat that can stop the graying.

I have some rope stropped blocks that I made almost years ago. They are
teak. They were finished with linseed oil. They are still teak color, not
grey.

Two things change the color of wood. The first is light...some woods will
darken, others get lighter. The second is oxidation; i.e., exposure to air.
That is what turns it grey; seal off air and it won't oxidize.

Regarding teak decks, IMO their value lies in the way teak oxidizes to a
rough surface. Rough surface=less slippery. No idea why battleships had
teak decks as they used to be holy stoned to maintain the wood color. They
were laid over the structural deck which was steel.