Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

"Michael A Terrell" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:08:40 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:16:30 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips
on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for
240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

I used mine to work on equipment with a missing or cut off power
cord. They can be made for any voltage or connector, but it's
suicide if you get careless.

Mine has a piggyback plug, so you can take someone else with you.
Or plug your test equipment in without losing an outlet.

Here is an example:

http://www.americord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/-/5-15pb_series_to_roj.jpg

My deathcord has insulated female Fastons for its usual task of
checking out transformers. In storage the Fastons are plugged into
insulated male Faston to banana plug adapters to measure Variac
voltage with a DVM, and those into brass tubing banana jacks wired to
an AC cord outlet. I also brought out the ground from the cord outlet
and use it to connect a 1000V hipot tester when checking old &
repaired power tools and appliances.

I made the banana to AC adapters to extend the leads of a Fluke
clamp-on current probe at the breaker box with a long extension cord
when testing the operation of hardwired baseboard heaters upstairs.
The reading is the same with or without the extension cord.

-jsw