Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default LED v CFL bulbs

Brian Reay wrote:

I've come to the conclusion it is a matter of 'perception'. We've found
LEDs pretty well hopeless in a domestic setting- nothing like the
claimed 'equivalence' to ordinary bulbs.

I have to say that does not reflect my experience.

We do use them in our motorhome but we accept a lower level of light there.

I have put LEDs, either new fittings or G4 replacements, in my
caravan, and found that some of them are much brighter.

For instance the old twin tube fluorescent had probably dimmed
somewhat, but this:

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/small-surface-chrome.html

is really bright. It wasn't cheap, but the switches on the old
fittings were failing too, so I didn't consider just replacing
the tube.

In the toilet and awning light fittings, I was able to use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEBSON%C2%A.../dp/B0055HTNL0

which is brighter than the original halogen.

This works well fitted over a mirror in which I was never
previously able to see to shave:

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/touch...ble-rigid.html

and this gives much improved under-cupboard illumination for the
kitchen work top, compared with the old halogens:

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/led-r...rip-cable.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK