Tom Baker

Default Crawl space vents - open / closed ?

"Chopper" wrote in message hlink.net...
Hi,
I have 1 year old ranch style house with a crawl space instead of a
basement. The only thing down there is the furnace.

There are ventilation vents for this crawl space, and I wonder if these
should be left open or closed. Should they be open part of the year, closed
other times?

Thanks

Vents in crawl spaces are supposed to allow air movement to remove the
moisture that comes from the ground. Add the need for cumbustion air
and the vents should stay at least partly open.
You may have a particularly good vapor barrier in place. You may have
particularly dry soil conditions. You may have particularly good
insulation at floor level. You may have a very mild winter. I would
suggest using the Building Science Corporation web site to look at
your particular conditions. I'm not affiliated and think it sometimes
overstates its opinon, but it is one place you can find researched
information based on climate.

TB