Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael A Terrell Michael A Terrell is offline

Default mini backhoe

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:08:40 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:16:30 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

You wonder how companies can afford to survive with things like that.
I was almost mugged for attempting to plug a guy's cord in during the
setup at COMDEX back in the '90s. Union guys went ape**** when I
pointed out the lack of connection and walked over to make it for the
vendor, like a nice guy. They made it clear that it was thea union
sparky's job and nobody else was "legally" allowed to do it. Scared
the **** out of me, it did. I tiptoed around the rest of the trip.
I never much liked unions, but I've really disliked them after that.

You don't carry a 'suicide cord' for those types?

I was surprised I didn't feel any garrotes that day. :-Q

A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for 240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

I used mine to work on equipment with a missing or cut off power
cord. They can be made for any voltage or connector, but it's suicide if
you get careless.

Mine has a piggyback plug, so you can take someone else with you. Or
plug your test equipment in without losing an outlet.

Here is an example:

http://www.americord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/-/5-15pb_series_to_roj.jpg