Charles H. Buchholtz

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

Crafty ) wrote:
: Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot afford to
: rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I have several
: LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible because there are many
: other tree roots nearby, and the ground is mostly rock and clay.

I've heard that you can get rid of stumps by drilling holes into the
stumps and then watering frequently (daily?) with a high nitrogen
fertilizer. The organic breakdown of wood is limited by the supply of
air, water and nitrogen - give it plenty of all three and it'll turn
to compost pretty quickly. At least, that's the theory - I've never
done this.

There's also burning out the stump. It's reckless, but probably safer
than blasting. I'd use the air/water/nitrogen technique myself.

I did a quick look in google and found this.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...444421263.html

--- Chip