Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amazing accomplishment of light bulb sellers

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 07:50:50 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:40:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 00:05:41 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Neon John wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 09:33:44 -0500, Ignoramus13481
wrote:

meanwhile the suckers keep on buying

I'll bet the people in Florida and Texas who stockpiled bottled
water
did not consider themselves suckers. We keep bottled water in
gallon
jugs in our motorhome because there is no telling what the local
water
tastes like. We're certainly not suckers.

I had six gallon jugs of distilled water on hand for cooking,
and 16
two liter bottles of fake Diet Mountain Dew when Irma hit. The
gallon
jugs were 87 cents each, and the diet soda were 75 cents, each. I
also
had 20 cans of Spam.

Well, at least you ate and drank "well". kaff, kaff, kaff

My electricity was out until the 169th of last month. CATV and
Internet were resorted on the 20th. The landline still doesn't work,
over a month later.

That's late in the month! g

My broadband provider closed my Earthlink account and replaced
it
with their crappy product, taking my email and Newsgroups with it. I
just signed up for a different Usenet service a couple days ago.

I'm having trouble with Centurylink out here on the Left Coast. My
3
year contract expired and my $74.12 monthly payment for phone and
5mbps Internet jumped to $90 and change. I called them and was put
on
hold, then was hung up on 15 minutes later. I called back and was
put
on hold again, but I hung up after the ******* didn't come back on
the call within 45 minutes. By then, I was so mad I said "F*ck it."
About a week and a half later, my ire had cooled and I called again
and got someone who stayed on the line, telling me they did away
with
contracts, and everything is just $85/mo for phone and 12mbps
Internet. That works out to $100/mo after taxes and graft fees. I
was all set up to pay $100 for the faster modem/router when the day
came and the installer called and said "Well, we won't be able to do
this. The fastest broadband in your area is 5mbps and they aren't
allowing us to do bonded pairs any more. A few days later, I got
the
letter of cancellation from Centurylink. When I got back from house
sitting for my sister, I grabbed the stack of mail from the box and
had a bill from my old long distance service, though I'd called them
to shut it off a month ago. The fee had doubled because I wasn't on
the original contract any more, and Centurylink hadn't taken it
over,
so Centurylink has bent me over and ass-raped me in just one more
way.
I hope that makes you feel better about what the storm put you
through.

I get along fine with BasicISP dialup and Broadband2Go cellular
Internet,

Is that for your laptop, and why both? Oh, ick, CDMA. g
I'm with the other guys and had to get cards for the new phone.

Oh, ick, 56k dialup (good enough for Usenet/email, but...)

Virgin PayLo for cell phone and an antenna for TV.

Tracfone w/ data and NO TV here, TYVM.

I'm wondering if I should just give up the land line, but between
neighbors and friends, I spend 30-60mins/day on the phone. My
neighbor is paying $15/mo for VOIP, but she has sat TV, so I'm not
sure how she's set up. She can't even measure a string with a ruler,
so I can't ask her -any- tech questions about it.

Charter Cable (local) doesn't service my area any more, so I can't
just swap over to them. Hughes wants $80/mo for Internet only, plus
$15-20/mo for modem rental, and they have a data max which switches
speeds from 25mbps to 1-3mbps after the 20gb/mo is gone. Talk about a
farkin' scam.

I miss my $8/mo Ma Bell bills!

This is what we use at our house. Works rather good.

http://pdanet.co/

Just ran a speed test:

11.8

Mbps download

1.30

Mbps upload
Latency: 69 ms
Server: San, Jose_CA

Your Internet speed is typical

Your Internet connection should be able to handle streaming an HD
video. If multiple devices are streaming video at the same time, you
may run into some slowdowns.

You need "unlimited data"...which we have on our Sprint phones, at
about $69 month/each

I set up my work laptop to run on the phone and depending on
location..I can do much better than the above

---