Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default workbench height

On 10/21/2017 4:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 4:36:11 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/21/17 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 12:03:59 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/21/17 8:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 9:46:19 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 8:05:56 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

Mats made for standing help too, of course.

I need to find some of those rubber, spongy mats. Those would be
nice to stand on at the bench. Even wearing comfortable sneakers,
those mats would be wonderful to stand on.

The harbor freight mats are not only good for standing on but for
kneeling on, for padding the sides of your vehicle when hauling
stuff, for padding between furniture when moving/storing, etc.

I cut them on my band saw into small sizes and odd shapes whenever I
need to protect/cushion something. I even have a piece attached to
the top of my cooler so that my dog can stand on it and look of out
the van window without sliding around. :-)

They ain't just for protecting your feet.

Yep! I use them for lying on underneath vehicle when doing repairs.
I use them for custom drum and electronics cases.
On work tables when sanding large objects to protect them and keep them
from sliding around while sanding.

I use large pieces of cardboard, like from a refrigerator when working under
the vehicles. I find that I can slide around on cardboard easier than on
the mats. It also slides around on the ground very easily, even when loaded
up with tools. Cardboard also absorbs oil and other liquids a little better
than the rubber mats.

If you use 2-3 layers, it provides quite a lot of cushion for knees, hips
and elbows. I have a pretty decent stack up in the storage loft of my garage.

You can have a few sheets if you want them. ;-)

Funny you mention that. It's hard to come by single pieces of cardboard
that size, however I do a lot of storm door installations.

The boxes they come in are a perfect "man -size." They are usually
slick on one side so easy to slide around on.

I'm sure the box from the storm door I installed a few years ago is in my
stack some place. Collecting larges piece of cardboard can get to be an
obsession. ;-)

I have 2 pieces that are a perfect fit to stand up sideways in the back
of my Odyssey and bend across the back of the middle row seats. They
protect the sides of the cargo area as well as the backs of the seats. They
*do not* get used under the vehicle.

I started to throw out my cardboard stash then decided not to. Large
cardboard boxes have so many uses. One recent was to may a bed "ie
truck bed" in the back of my van so I could carry some messy items. I
also keep some under my lawn tractor, when I spill oil while adding it
to the tractor.

As to the Mats. I use large squares of scrap carpet. You can usually
find them in new houses after install, or at the carpet store. Most of
the time they give them away.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre