Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael A Terrell Michael A Terrell is offline

Default Amazing accomplishment of light bulb sellers

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:08:49 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A Terrell wrote:

I had six gallon jugs of distilled water on hand for cooking, and
16 two liter bottles of fake Diet Mountain Dew when Irma hit. The
gallon jugs were 87 cents each, and the diet soda were 75 cents,
each. I also had 20 cans of Spam.

P.S: Stock a case of each of several canned meats, cases of canned
veggies, and half a dozen cases of water for the next time. I you
have propane, stock up on Ramen. Half a can of veggies/meat and a
Ramen makes a hearty stew for. I toss the MSG "flavor packet" and use
bouillon, garlic, and pepper, mostly. It ain't a $15 gov't MRE, but
it's not half bad.

I ate a lot of cold cans of chili, stew, vegetables and a few
snacks that were on hand. There was no propane for the stove, but
the nearest McDonald's had arranged for backup power, and had a fell
reefer truck full of food in the parking lot so they stayed open
with a limited menu. I had one hot meal each day, after leaving the
Special Needs Hurricane Shelter. Three days and two nights were more
than enough for me. The county had replaced their old folding beds
with cheap camping cots that weren't wide enough for a teenager, let
alone an old man. I couldn't get to my feet, without help.

Were people there easily volunteering to help you, I hope? I can't
imagine having to hole up and try to sleep in a shelter after a storm,
with people making noise 24/7. Glad you survived it, Mikey.

Most of the disabled had brought a caretaker with them. There were some
county health workers there, as well. Still, it was no fun needing to
use the restroom, and having to make enough noise to wake someone else
in the room to help me. I was in a classroom at the closest high school.
They fed us, but it was what was on hand for the students. Nothing fit
for a diabetic, and the portions were for kids, not adults.

They had some better beds, but some some
greedy jerks had demanded them and left those that needed one to do without.

Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. Pity. Wouldn't the PTBs do
anything, or was it politicized there, too?

They weren't on site. The county was trying to shelter residents,
and people who had fled north, and got stranded. I-75 was closed often
due to accidents, so the traffic was detoured to old state highways.
That caused the local gas stations tro be out of fuel by the time they
even opened local shelters.

I normally have 200 to 400 cans of food on hand at all times. I buy
canned goods by the tray. I had bought 144 cans of soup a couple
years ago. I've used about 2/3 of them.

Good. Yeah, one has to cycle through them and restock as they do.

I take it that you're back at home and it's in fair shape?

What I've looked at is OK, but someone stole the battery out of my
mower, and I can't see the backs of a couple roofs. I have tried several
times to find a new battery, but I'm not going to pay $75 for a $20
lawnmower battery.