DBCooper

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

Let me know when the blast will occur. I want to come and watch.

Crafty wrote in :

Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot
afford to rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I
have several LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible
because there are many other tree roots nearby, and the ground is
mostly rock and clay.

I cut down the trees a few years ago. I don't know what kind they are,
but they are the toughest damned trees I've ever seen in my life! My
chainsaw broke cutting them down, and an axe barely penetrates the
surface! They look like Poplar, but they are simply too large to be
poplar trees.

I am on my last leg, and this is my idea:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder
3) Cork it tight
4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a
LOT of nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch
anything on fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well sump.
Burning is also out of the question.

Please do not try this yourself. I don't anyone to get hurt from my
idea. I'm looking for people who've tried it or something similar.

Open to other suggestions. Advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!