Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Am Samstag, 21. Oktober 2017 06:32:59 UTC+2 schrieb Rudy Canoza:

I am certain the majority of people who follow this group make the
wrong
decision on make-or-buy.

There aren't universal right and wrong decisions here. It depends on
the person, tools available, interest and time. Lately I built two
workbenches and a vice (vise, if you're American) myself. This was
better for me, because the end products were exactly what I needed and
it was fun. But someone else might have preferred to buy them.
====================

I can build things that aren't commercially available, like the variac
battery charging power supplies that are economically practical only
with cheap flea market parts, or the hydraulic front-end loader for my
Sears garden tractor. It fit my need to clear snow to the upwind side
of my yard although the tractor is too small and light to excavate
soil.

The sawmill was harder to justify versus buying one. I was looking at
Wood-Mizer and its competition until a neighbor parted out a crashed
motorcycle whose wheels were nearly perfect for a homebrew bandsaw
mill and I found a cheap heap of surplus pallet rack channel iron to
use for the tracks and frame.

-jsw