Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My Email To Home Depot Regarding The Husky Hand Tool Replacment Process

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 11:42:21 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The walking across the store thing doesn't surprise me. Many folks have done that for
me.

I bought a Delta fence for my table saw from HD. Had to order it and had it shipped to the store.
I went to pick it up after work wearing a white shirt and tie (big meeting that day) The box was
big since the rails are 52" and it was pretty dirty. The clerk grabbed it from the online order rack
and processed the pickup. I was about to go get a cart when he said "No problem, I got it."
He tucked it under his arm (sort of. He was a big guy, but not a giant) and said "Where are you
parked?" He the proceeded to carry it to my van and load it in for me. I offered him him a tip
but he said "No thanks, my pleasure."

Nice guy. Real nice.

A lot of really decent folks are still out there working, toiling away, but still showing some enthusiasm and integrity. Sometimes all they need is a chance.

I know with my clients, if I get a client that is demanding and rude, he gets no extra concern or consideration. If I have a client that is easy going and laid back, I almost always give that guy a little extra of a bit of free repairs.

Not all that long ago there was a push on the DIY home shows that told the prospective remodelors/flippers that they needed to stand on their contractors hard to get what they wanted, and not to take "no" for an answer. Bad game to play with me. My jobs always come in on time, and I haven't added to the price because I missed the bid in 20+ years.

So if they want to play hard ball, I am all over it. If they are late meeting me on site, I charge them. If they change a paint color, even on something small, I charge them. If they add to the contract, I charge them even if it is something minor. If they leave a gate locked and we cannot get in to work, I charge them. In other words, anything comes up that isn't in my contract, I charge them.

OTOH, if things are going well, we have access to the work area as needed, the client isn't asking for free work and we can work as needed to make up rain days, etc., I gladly do just about anything within reason to make that client happy. If I don't make as much money as planned on a job but has gone well, I am fine for a couple of reasons. First, my own piece of mind, and second, happy clients are referring clients.

I like a smooth running show, and as I said before, sometimes when things aren't going right, all I need to do is step back, take a beat, then open my mouth. I certainly appreciate that kind of consideration from the people I associate with during my business day. And once something has been said, it can't be unsaid. I work hard to keep everyone associated with my company in a place to keep their temperature down.

Robert