View Single Post
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default My Email To Home Depot Regarding The Husky Hand Tool Replacment Process

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:22:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 10:27:40 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I opened the box my worst fears were realized. The vac wasn't just repacked, it was
well used. There must have been 2" of drywall debris in the canister, the filter was coated with
dust and there were pieces missing.

I took it right back, showed it to the clerk and asked her what she could do to make me a
happy customer. "Go grab another vac. How's 15% off sound?" That worked for me.

I go to 3 different Lowe's, any Home Depot that is in the vicinity of my work, and a couple of lumberyards.

Amazing how different each store can be. Each has their own personality. With contacts in management at a few Home Depot stores off and on over the years, and the managers tell me that the monetary demographics have a lot to do wit the store's overall relationship with customers.

These are generalities based on my personal conversations with managers and employees, so please, no lectures on being PC.

PC, no, but perhaps you're just seeing what you expect to see.

In the well to do neighborhoods, the employees are used to being treated pretty badly, much like servants. Demanding women that can't believe that they saw something on TV that a store clerk didn't, weekend warriors in cargo shorts, hiking boots, a well washed ball cap and a plaid shirt... that almost make them a pro. And if they saw something on TOH, or some other show, they just might be a pro. I have was in an HD recently and watched a middle aged man (VERY well dressed in a Ralph Lauren weekend collection kind of way) berate a store clerk because his time was valuable, and the poor clerk didn't have professional grade advice at his fingertips for him. Waiting my turn for my favorite account rep at the pro desk a couple of years ago (for about 20 minutes I might add)I was finally up. I was going over my list of materials and a older, well coiffed and bejeweled woman came up to me, put her hand around my shoulder and said "I'm sorry honey, but I am in a real hurry and I need to
talk to this man for a few minutes" and then started asking about drapery installation.

That unleashed a pretty good string of profanity that even surprised me. The manager at that store is changed out about every 18 months as the complaints by the clients pile up and they move them. I have known a few, and they assure me that everyone wants to speak to manager and they have the time to follow up with every complaint to corporate, including their favorite "the person I talked to was very rude" complaint.

My contacts at the least monetarily and mid range income stores tell me it is mixed experiences dealing with customers. But people are very demanding these days, as well as completely dishonest. I have developed a lot more sympathy for the HD employees since I got to know some of the managers. The shop vac you got was probably put in the wrong bin, meant to be returned to HD for refund. OR, if the customer service was filled by a new guy, the taped box may have been claimed to be "unopened" and it wasn't caught. Lots of variables, but I was cheered to hear that 1) you didn't come back here and let everyone know you were a huge prick that laid some (fill in stereotype here) low, and 2) they did you a solid favor by discounting the purchase. Not much I understand, but sometimes the thought counts a lot.

For a lot of different reasons, the whole HD/Lowes model of service has changed. Personally, I don't know how they get anyone to work there. The first weekend DIY snot showing off for his kids that mouthed off to me would certainly cost me my job.

Interestingly, one of the stores here has a downs woman working the
front door. She's usually selling HVAC service contracts, or some
such but she's always nice. I'm rather impressed that HD hired her.

Certainly there are exceptions, but I have found that much like all my professional relationships I get treated by my vendors as well as I treat them. A good example would be that I bought an electrical fixture at Lowe's that was picked by my client. It was the last one in the store, last one in the city. Drove 30 minutes one way to get it. My electrician tried to install it, but couldn't as there were parts missing. VERY close inspection revealed it might have been a repackage. Lowe's discontinued the fixture so no help there.

I'm not a "tradesman", rather the guy showing up in clean clothes (I'd
never go into any store if I was filthy. I may be strange, but even
in the middle of a project, if I have to run to HD, I'll shower first.

I called PROGRESSIVE lighting (maker) explained my situation without too much stress on my end and the lady on the other end was more and more relaxed. She wasn't exactly sure which package of screws and decorative nuts I needed, so she sent me all that came with the light. So I didn't have to wait, she sent them two-day air.

I've dealt with companies like that too. I tend to give them more
business, later.

I think a lot of folks would be better served to calm down and remember that in so many cases, situations are out of the person's hands that you are confronting with your problems. My experience at HD has been pretty good over the last 20 years, but I confess my only warranty needs have been serviced by Ridgid. I have never tried Husky (or Kobalt) as they have too many models of too many products for them to keep up. At this juncture, I feel that if I got my $$ of use out of the tool and it breaks, I just toss it. I won't argue over a $12 pair of channel locks that I have had for a couple of years. (BTW, they rely on people like me to not pursue the warranty!)

+1

....and that goes for the poor slob behind the counter at the airport,
too. He can't pull another flight out of his ass, either. Might just
as well be nice to him. He can make your life miserable or actually
help. I've gotten many to upgrade me to first class, just by being
nice in an otherwise stressful situation.