DaveG

Default Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit -Please advise

"Brad" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:17:06 -0500, Brad wrote:

Egress is a bunch of crap. Sure, it's a safety issue if you're going to
use the room as a basement, but you either take it as an accepted risk or
you don't live in the room. I lived in a basement with no egress for many
years growing up at a time when more than 3/4 of the basements in my
neighborhood were finished with nothing but a set of stairs going to the
main floor and many of those had kids living in them. Just because we are
an overly regulatory society does not mean that you have to have a
friggin' big window in a basement to use it as a bedroom.

Exactly. You cannot legally claim a space is a bedroom unless it meets
egress requirements.
You won't be able to claim the room as a bedroom when you sell the property.
I don't think this stops too many people from using these as bedrooms. Nor
should it.
I certainly agree about the overly regulatory society. I'm still trying to
figure out how we all survived during the "dark ages" when people actually
had to think for themselves, and take calculated risks.
It's a wonder that we all survived. Sure am glad I have someone else do
that thinking for me.
I feel much safer...................NOT
Dave