Crafty

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot afford to
rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I have several
LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible because there are many
other tree roots nearby, and the ground is mostly rock and clay.

I cut down the trees a few years ago. I don't know what kind they are, but
they are the toughest damned trees I've ever seen in my life! My chainsaw
broke cutting them down, and an axe barely penetrates the surface! They
look like Poplar, but they are simply too large to be poplar trees.

I am on my last leg, and this is my idea:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder
3) Cork it tight
4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a LOT of
nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch anything on
fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well sump.
Burning is also out of the question.

Please do not try this yourself. I don't anyone to get hurt from my idea.
I'm looking for people who've tried it or something similar.

Open to other suggestions. Advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!