Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 camera with gyro-stabilised lens

On 19/10/2017 18:51, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 19/10/17 15:56, N_Cook wrote:
On 19/10/2017 10:25, N_Cook wrote:
Camera kept dry but the outer case got wet and transferred damp air into
the camera it seems. Looks as though the T (telephoto) switch of the
zoom failed , pressing W (Wide) just showed x1 in hte display, no
changes up to x6 for zoom.
A blast of low heat hot air for 10 seconds , followed by leaving over a
warm power supply for a few hours, seems to have cure it, after a bit of
faultering recogniton and creeping up from x1 to x6, now back to normal
function, but for how long?.
Other than getting inside and probably breaking a foil ribbon or
something, any advice , other than keeping it out of damp in the
futrere?

I was advised placing in bag of dry ice, where do you get that?
theatrical suppliers or cocktail bars?
I'll try placing in a bag of freshly oven activated silica gel perhaps,
unless anyone has serious concerns about that.

I think you are mixing it up with dry *rice*, which is often mentioned
as a way of drying wet mobile phones (just google it). I've successfully
dried a wet mobile phone that way.

Yes, the electronic engineer who emailed me that mentioning mobile
phones dropped down the bog, has a computer with a dodgey "r" on the
keyboard, on mine its a weak "a".