Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone have a price & quality opinion on this jointer....

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 11:39:16 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/19/2017 7:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/18/2017 9:38 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
" wrote:

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:16:41 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
*** 555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+* 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items?* I have been to a few farm auctions,
and there is no sales tax.* The buyer's premium is possible.* But
sales tax on a used item?

From:
http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
"TAXES:* Sales tax where applicable, applies to all sales unless the
Buyer, in the sole determination of Auctioneer, provides Auctioneer
with proper sales tax exemption documents."

The only internet auction I've ever bought from is eBay. The only
time I pay sales tax through eBay is if the seller is located in my
State. I have never paid a "Buyer's Fee" regardless.

If I were the highest bidder on either of the following auctions, I
would only pay my wining bid amount because I'm not a resident of
California...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Oliver-J...-/332416278526
or Maine...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Northfie...-/322824843349

But you may be subject to the Use Tax.* Ebay gets a cut of the selling
price and that is included in your bid offer.* In most sttes if you are
not charged a tax on out of state purchases you are supposed to pay a
Use Tax to your home state.* Just send it in!

Precisely. But most do not pay a sales tax on these type transactions
because they are not a business. It is not financially feasible for the
state to track down and go after non business unregistered buyers.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the sales tax and the
sellers responsibility to collect the sales tax and submit to the state
that they are doing business in. If the sale is outside the state the
buyer should submit the sales tax directly to the state. But few ever
do that.

When the internet was newer, had a friend who bought cigs from
Kentucky, Illinois dept. of Revenue did get wise and he was handed a
large bill based upon previous purchases.