Mary Shafer

Default Fire Insurance Nightmare

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:25:40 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Replacement is
replacement, There is no way you can buy/sell a home for
$125k and need $350k to replace it. Maybe what you are
trying to replace is an old piece of crap with a modern full
frills house. For instance if you house is a 3 bedroom 1
bath, you sure won't get the money to replace it with a 5
bedroom 3 bath house. Only in a very few highly specialized
cases would the difference in cost and replacement be a
factor of 3, and in those case your house would probably be
condemended as unlivable.

Having to build the replacement house to (current) code can mean
adding what seem like features. More insulation is an example
locally. Since they can't build a drafty, under-insulated house like
my current one, I would get a better house, with a higher resale
value, than I have.

I am quite willing to agree that meeting the minimum requirements of
code doesn't really qualify as a "frill", though. And it certainly
wouldn't cost three times as much, particularly when the purchase
price includes the land, which wasn't replaced.

Mary