Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Bathroom faucet replacement question

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 9:39:08 AM UTC-4, Bobby Axelrod wrote:
On 10/19/17 9:07 AM, Bill wrote:
My new bathroom faucet may arrive in the mail today. This will be my
first repair of this nature and I have a question.Â* Thank you for any
comments!

Q: Since applying the supply lines to the faucet seems like the most
difficult part of the job, why wouldn't someone push the supply lines
through the top of the vanity and attach them to the faucet first (with
plumbers tape, of course)?Â* The plastic nuts, which secure the faucet to
the vanity, could be slipped over the supply lines first for instance,
and attached where they belong afterward.Â*Â* I ask this question, because
the process I described doesn't appear to be the normal procedure.

Thank you!
Bill

If you're using screw-on flexible supply hoses from the shut off valves
to the faucet, I'm not sure you're supposed to use tape.

Good point, you're right, you don't use tape on those. As to connecting
the supply line first, then slipping it through, you can do that, as long
as it works with that particular faucet. IDK what they do with bath faucets
today, but kitchen faucets typically have supply hoses already attached that
extend down about a foot. You then hook your supply line from the angle
valve to the hose end from the faucet. If you use flex supply lines, no
reason you can't do it with a bath faucet as long as it will still attach
to the sink, ie if there is a nut, that it will slip over, etc. It would
be easier, which is I presume why the switched to that with the kitchen
faucets. No more need for a basin wrench either, they use a hex head nut
that tightens against a backing plate, you use a socket with extension.