Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Anyone have a price & quality opinion on this jointer....

On 10/18/2017 9:46 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 21:36:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/18/2017 8:50 PM,
wrote:
On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:16:41 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?

Sale is a sale. Business buying it may be exempt.

Generally not, if it's used by the business (rather than resold).

State law varies. If it is used in production of your product it may be
exempt. We never paid tax on machines, raw material, packing material.
We did pay for janitorial supplies and the like.