Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing zinc plating from aluminum screws

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:41:10 -0700 (PDT), Arjun Sharma
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 6:44:04 AM UTC-5, Arjun Sharma wrote:
Hi there. I bought a bunch of big aluminum screws to help secure an aluminum pergola I'm building (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I'd like to remove the zinc plating to reduce galvanic corrosion (I'll probably anodize the screws). I Googled it and found a couple tutorials around using citric acid and another using another type of acid. However, when I went to the hardware store, they had nothing of the sort.

Any suggestions for the best way to go about this (or where to get a strong enough acid) ? Thanks!

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Any idea what people use, then? I know pergolas (and other structures) made from aluminum are quite common. Surely they have some mechanism for attaching the aluminum to the ground, wall, or in my case parapet wall.

I don't mind just using these screws, assuming they're zinc-plated steel. I just was worried about galvanic corrosion over time.

Depends on where you live if you need to worry about galvanic
corrosion.

I live in the high desert of central California. Things take multiple
decades to rust.

65 miles away..on the shores of the Pacific..it takes weeks.

You can always buy stainless steel screws and use them.

---