Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arjun Sharma Arjun Sharma is offline

Default Removing zinc plating from aluminum screws

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 6:44:04 AM UTC-5, Arjun Sharma wrote:
Hi there. I bought a bunch of big aluminum screws to help secure an aluminum pergola I'm building (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I'd like to remove the zinc plating to reduce galvanic corrosion (I'll probably anodize the screws). I Googled it and found a couple tutorials around using citric acid and another using another type of acid. However, when I went to the hardware store, they had nothing of the sort.

Any suggestions for the best way to go about this (or where to get a strong enough acid) ? Thanks!

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Any idea what people use, then? I know pergolas (and other structures) made from aluminum are quite common. Surely they have some mechanism for attaching the aluminum to the ground, wall, or in my case parapet wall.

I don't mind just using these screws, assuming they're zinc-plated steel. I just was worried about galvanic corrosion over time.