Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Anyone have a price & quality opinion on this jointer....

On 18-Oct-17 2:56 PM, Sonny wrote:

I know where a 24" Oliver jointer is (within a reasonable drive),
for $3500. Today, I received a few more pics from the guys. Maybe (I
suspect) they'll take less. I haven't made an offer, yet, and 24" is way
too much more than I need(?) or want.

There's no such thing as "too much" width for a jointer providing only
that there is room to set it...just as there's never a planer too wide;
that next panel or wild-edge plank will always be just a little too
wide...

It's the weight of those behemoths that can be the real kicker in how to
handle them for the average home shop...generally don't have a forklift
or whatever to move it.

I thought I had it all figured out for the PM 180 that's only 1600+/-
lb; I can get the little JD 955 utility tractor in the barn so offloaded
it with the big tractor on to the rear hay fork rigged up on the three
point. Turns out it didn't have enough lift to pick it up...ended up
having to rent low-rise pallet mover to get it to position needed as the
overhead clarance in the barn isn't enough to get anything had that had
enough heft inside...