Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cemetery Polka Cemetery Polka is offline

Default mini backhoe

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 09:52:03 -0700, wrote:

My Case has what are called "Case Style" conrols. There are also
"John Deere Style" controls. I have never used the Deere style
controls but more than one person I have spoken to about backhoes has
derided the Case style control. In fact, I was told that Case backhoes
could be ordered new from the factory with Deere style controls.
My case uses three levers and two foot pedals to control the how.
As well as two levers for the outriggers. I think the Deere controls
don't use the foot pedals.

On the one I used for about 150 hours a while back, all hand controls.
Dipper control moves left and right for bucket tip. Boom control moves
left and right for swing. That's if I remember right, because after a
while it just becomes muscle memory. I'd used Case controls before and
now after. No problem with either, although I'm occasionally still
trying to move the Case levers sideways. Some will find either
more instinctive than the other.

The foot pedals control the swing, the
levers the the digging motions.
I would advise against the foot pedal controls. This is because on
my machine it is easy to step on the foot pedal when getting in and
out of the seat. And this makes the boom swing fast. Which is
dangerous.

I find that the least dangerous thing on the 530. No handholds, no
ROPS, vestigial fenders. Definitely made for an era when men were men,
and sleepy heads lost limbs.

The Deere hoe I used was on a dozer. If you wanted to get out to be
near the hoe, it was a long way around through the door. Much shorter
to climb around the hoe controls, but one needs to take care to not
snag a pant leg. Same with my skidsteer. No safeties at all. If you
climb out with the bucket up you damned sure better not step on the
lift pedal on your way out. They've engineered most of these risks out
of modern machines. One friend's skidsteer has so many safeties it can
be a pain sometimes. Another's needs its seat safety adjusted. He's
heavier and has no issues. But when I'm in it and a bump lifts a bit
of my weight off the seat, the brakes slam on. The halt bounces me
back off the seat and then there's rounds two three and four before
things settle down. Upside is that I can't remember the last time I
felt the need to go on a carnival ride.