Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 17:25:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 5:14:47 PM UTC-4, Christopher Tidy wrote:
A few tips from a fellow backhoe enthusiast here. Just what I can think of spontaneously:

- Try to design your backhoe to have smooth curves without sharp corners. Taper any reinforcement plates to make a diamond shape and use a tail-out on your welds. This helps to reduce stress concentrations and fatigue cracking, which is a big problem on backhoes.

That is one of the things I do not like about the plans I have. Some places look like they would be big stress concentrators.

- You will not regret having power slew, even on a really small machine.

I am convinced. If you have a hydraulic pump, tank ,and filter, might as well have power everything.

Get a two-lever valve block if you can (these are available second hand.)

Not sure I understand what you are saying. There are four hydraulic cylinders so one needs four valves. Are you saying use two two lever valve blocks instead of a 4 valve block?

I was thinking about a 3 valve block for the three cylinders used in digging and a 1 valve block for the boom swivel. So the one valve block could be mounted so it is actuated left and right rather than forward and aft. Even better might be a swivel valve that is operated by one's feet. Have not got my head around how to do that.

Dan

Chris

Greetings Dan,
My Case has what are called "Case Style" conrols. There are also
"John Deere Style" controls. I have never used the Deere style
controls but more than one person I have spoken to about backhoes has
derided the Case style control. In fact, I was told that Case backhoes
could be ordered new from the factory with Deere style controls.
My case uses three levers and two foot pedals to control the how.
As well as two levers for the outriggers. I think the Deere controls
don't use the foot pedals. The foot pedals control the swing, the
levers the the digging motions.
I would advise against the foot pedal controls. This is because on
my machine it is easy to step on the foot pedal when getting in and
out of the seat. And this makes the boom swing fast. Which is
dangerous.
You should really take a close look at a backhoe control lever
setup on a machine. Maybe your local heavy equipment rental place has
one. Maybe talk to an operator or two.
I rented a small excavator several years ago that used a joystick
control. Much better. It took me almost no time to learn using the
joystick. My Case controls were much harder to learn. They take more
finesse. When you are digging the bottom of a ditch and it needs to be
level the dipper has to be drawn backwards while at the same time it
must be raised. It took me many hours to learn to do that operation
even half way good.
Finally, think about adding a thumb. My hoe doesn't have one but I
got a cylinder recently to add one. I know, mission creep and all
that.
Cheers,
Eric