Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Removing zinc plating from aluminum screws

"Arjun Sharma" wrote in message
Hi there. I bought a bunch of big aluminum screws to help secure an aluminum
pergola I'm building
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I'd like to remove the zinc plating to reduce galvanic corrosion (I'll
probably anodize the screws). I Googled it and found a couple tutorials
around using citric acid and another using another type of acid. However,
when I went to the hardware store, they had nothing of the sort.

Any suggestions for the best way to go about this (or where to get a strong
enough acid) ? Thanks!

I think you have a bigger problem. I don't think you have aluminum screws.
I have never heard of aluminum lag screws (it seems like an extremely poor
application for aluminum) and can see no good reason why they would be zinc
plated (I am not sure it is even possible).
I can see a good reason why normal steel lag screws would be zinc plated.
When I search for the part number, sku, or upc code, it comes up as Zinc
Plated Steel Grade 2 everywhere except the amazon page.