Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Power lights in loft from lighting circuit help please

On 17/10/2017 19:44, Yam man wrote:
replying to John Rumm, Yam man wrote:
Hi john can't get lend of multimeter till Friday. Went ahead and fitted
both
sockets and the lights both on fused Spurs as explained in previous
post. I'm
having a problem over today my wife said the cu is tripping off. It's just
happened whilst I'm home and ther is no breakers tripping off it is the
main
switch it is100amps 100ma rcd that is tripping off. I have the newly added
sockets etc all turned off at fused switches I'm stumped any suggestions
greatly appreciated

Are your fused switches single or double pole? If single pole then the
most likely cause is an earth to neutral short on the new wiring
somewhere. That tends to have the effect of causing random RCD trips,
since although both neutral and earth are notionally at the same
potential, the neutral voltage will tend to rise slightly as the load on
the circuits increases - and that can yield enough current flow to
earth, to create an imbalance the RCD can see.

--
Cheers,

John.