Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 5:14:47 PM UTC-4, Christopher Tidy wrote:
A few tips from a fellow backhoe enthusiast here. Just what I can think of spontaneously:

- Try to design your backhoe to have smooth curves without sharp corners. Taper any reinforcement plates to make a diamond shape and use a tail-out on your welds. This helps to reduce stress concentrations and fatigue cracking, which is a big problem on backhoes.

That is one of the things I do not like about the plans I have. Some places look like they would be big stress concentrators.

- You will not regret having power slew, even on a really small machine.

I am convinced. If you have a hydraulic pump, tank ,and filter, might as well have power everything.

Get a two-lever valve block if you can (these are available second hand.)

Not sure I understand what you are saying. There are four hydraulic cylinders so one needs four valves. Are you saying use two two lever valve blocks instead of a 4 valve block?

I was thinking about a 3 valve block for the three cylinders used in digging and a 1 valve block for the boom swivel. So the one valve block could be mounted so it is actuated left and right rather than forward and aft. Even better might be a swivel valve that is operated by one's feet. Have not got my head around how to do that.

Dan

Chris