Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default 12V Input current required for Inverters

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 05:45:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

With all due respect - does the phrase "danger to yourself and others" have
any meaning. As described:

No danger was involved. It was laying on the lawn outside, I connected
the jumper cables to my farm tractor battery and made sure to tap the
jumper cable to the voltage, not just clamp it on. After the initial
sparks, it attempted to operate.

I since tore it apart, and found the main 12V POS wire was crammed
between the board and the case, and it's insulation was seriously
crushed between the case and the board. But the case is plastic so I
cant see how it would short to that. Anyhow, I taped the wire up, moved
it, and turned the inverter on. For the first 5 minutes it worked fine,
with no load on the output. I then connected a small 120v fan to it, and
the fan worked fine. However, when I unplugged the fan from the
inverter, the inverter red light began flashing and the buzzer began
beeping, and it no longer produced any AC output voltage. Even after
disconnecting it from the 12V battery and letting it sit for 24 hours,
it still just flashes the red light and beeps.

I have given up trying to repair it, and bought a new inverter. Because
it has SMD devices inside, I wont even try to repair it at this point.
It's now in my junk box, intended only to be used for parts. The case
will come in handy for some project, it's small internal fan may be
used, along with the switch and a few other parts. The circuit board
will likely just go in the garbage, because who knows what parts are
fried on it. But for now, I didn't feel like ripping it apart again, so
the whole thing went in my scrap box.

I have read several websites that say this is a common problem with this
model, and it's not highly rated. Cobra has been known to produce
quality CB radios, but apparently this inverter is has a lot of
problems. I wasted enough time on it. Now it's parts ONLY.