Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cemetery Polka Cemetery Polka is offline

Default mini backhoe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 09:14:10 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:53:17 -0700, Cemetery Polka wrote:

Oops, just realized I've been talking 530 and you guys 580. That
explains why you have brakes, and I have brake simulators.

Do you step on the clutch to use shuttle shift?

Yes. It has a neutral position which I had to use the other day
because the transmission won't go into neutral or 1st. I think one of
the shift forks has come out of its groove. Couldn't have happened
unless something's wrong with the shifter, which wouldn't surprise me.
Shuttle cover looks like this
https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/m...OL-COVER-0WVC/
Left lever is forward-reverse, right lever is high-low range.

Mine is just a lever
on the steering column.

On mine the forward reverse shuttle is a mechanical shifter on the top
of the torque tube. Here's a parts breakdown of the entire assembly.
https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/m...-HOUSING-0WVZ/
I replaced the subassembly 8A. I see that the same thing is used on
some 580s.

My brakes are the shoe/disc combination.
Where the shoe stops one disc from rotating which causes the balls to
climb the ramp which presses on the disc.

Sounds like mine is the same arrangement.
https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/m...E-SYSTEM-0WCr/
It's not a shoe though, but a band around a drum. I cleaned
everything, lightly greased the balls, and adjusted. It works Ok on
the level, but is really crap when I'm pointed up a steep hill and
stopped trying to shift gears. I figured it surely must have worked
better when new, but a friend who knows these tractors from the old
days told me the brakes were never any good. Based on your experience
though, I'll give everything a more critical look next time it's
apart.

Ed, if you're reading this, please give your opinion on the
arrangement. The plate 35 presses against the inside of the housing.
It seems to me that the cam/ball/disc thing can only be effective IF
the band is effective, which makes it a dubious idea. Ever known
anything else that uses such a system?