Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Most expensive steel

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 09:21:55 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Montag, 16. Oktober 2017 23:46:54 UTC+2 schrieb Ed Huntress:

The most expensive *commercially available* steel I've even seen is
Cricible's CPM Rex 121, although it must have come down recently,
because it's even being sold for making knife blades. It's an extreme
high-speed steel.

As for steel used in structural applications, the maraging grades are
'way up there.

So how much do those steels cost?

Chris

Just checking one place for the Rex 121 (Alpha Knife Supply), a 0.142"
thick slab, 23.0" long and 6.0" wide, is $394.00. That must be for
making some kind of nasty little sword, I guess.

When it first came out, most of it was sold for making gear hobs.
Those blanks were a lot more expensive then.

OnLine Metals will sell you 3 ft. long bar, 1.5" diameter, of maraging
steel for $920.51.

--
Ed Huntress