Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:53:17 -0700, Cemetery Polka wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:30:59 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:02:50 -0700, Cemetery Polka wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:32:36 -0400,
wrote:

Likewize. I think all CKs had the shuttle shift.

I think I remember reading in the manual that some didn't. And the
trans on mine indicates a reverse position that doesn't seem to exist.
I presume that's there for models without the shuttle. Anyway, I can
tell you it's a pain to replace that shuttle gear assembly. Not
terribly difficult, just a pain. Sure is nice to have it back working
though. How bad are your brakes? Mine look good inside, but are barely
adequate to keep the machine from rolling backwards on a 10% grade. I
keep the bucket flipped and low in case of emergency.

The brakes are great. No problem locking up the wheels.

Are they bands on drums, with a cam assist to a flat plate?

How can the
shuttle shift work without a torque converter?

Clutch.

When my CK gets low on
transmission fluid it takes forever for it to warm up enough to move.
I need to fill it way above the full mark on the dipstick for it to
move as soon as I start it. I think it may have the wrong dipstick.
Also weird is that the engine NEVER gets low on oil. And it's not gas
leaking past the rings keeping the oil level up.

No trans fluid. Just gear oil in the torque tube and trans.

It must be a leak
between the engine and the transmission unit that is filling the
engine very slowly with transmission fluid.

Bummer.

I have been having trouble
getting the carb adjustment right. Found out why. There is about 1/16"
play in the throttle shaft where it goes through the back side of the
carb. This winter the carb is coming off so I can rebuild it.
Eric

Yeah, I crudely bushed mine and added some o rings to take up space.
Runs decent but not perfect, hard to know if it was ever much better.
Hand throttle was terrible until I fixed a seized cross shaft linkage
for the foot throttle. Took a whole afternoon including some lathe
work, but was worth it to have a foot throttle.

Have you seen this?
http://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk...3-1024x680.jpg
Mine is not quite so shiny. Hoe is different on mine, lift
cylinder is buried in the boom.

Oops, just realized I've been talking 530 and you guys 580. That
explains why you have brakes, and I have brake simulators.

Do you step on the clutch to use shuttle shift? Mine is just a lever
on the steering column. My brakes are the shoe/disc combination.
Where the shoe stops one disc from rotating which causes the balls to
climb the ramp which presses on the disc. I guess it's a good way to
amplify foot pressure in a purely mechanical way. But they are prone
to locking up.
Eric