Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
harry newton harry newton is offline

Default Severe flaw in WPA2 protocol leaves Wi-Fi traffic open to eavesdropping

He who is harry newton said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 06:33:13 +0000 (UTC):

It works by exploiting a four-way handshake that's used to establish a key
for encrypting traffic.

Here is ubiquiti's response to the AirMax products that I often use on my
rooftop and as my many access points in my house and barn and pool and
corral and driveway gate cameras, etc., and that all my neighbors use for
our WISP radios.

"Yes, this is a very big problem for WPA2 clients that won't get any more
updates. But let's keep this thread focused on airMAX products.

First of all, you are mostly covered if you are running v8.4.0 (AC series)
or v6.0.7 (M series). We will fully resolve the issue with v8.4.2/v6.1.2
(betas aimed for the end of this week). Furthermore, our proprietary airMAX
protocol makes simple attacks more difficult to carry out.

Will be fully fixed with v8.4.2/v6.1.2:
CVE-2017-13077: reinstallation of the pairwise key in the Four-way
handshake
CVE-2017-13078: reinstallation of the group key in the Four-way handshake
CVE-2017-13079: reinstallation of the integrity group key in the Four-way
handshake
CVE-2017-13080: reinstallation of the group key in the Group Key handshake
CVE-2017-13081: reinstallation of the integrity group key in the Group Key
handshake
Unaffected:
CVE-2017-13082: accepting a retransmitted Fast BSS Transition Reassociation
Request and reinstalling the pairwise key while processing it
CVE-2017-13084: reinstallation of the STK key in the PeerKey handshake
CVE-2017-13086: reinstallation of the Tunneled Direct-Link Setup (TDLS)
PeerKey (TPK) key in the TDLS handshake
CVE-2017-13087: reinstallation of the group key (GTK) when processing a
Wireless Network Management (WNM) Sleep Mode Response frame
CVE-2017-13088: reinstallation of the integrity group key (IGTK) when
processing a Wireless Network Management (WNM) Sleep Mode Response frame"