Andy in Fink

Default Dirt in crawlspace

I did this also to my house about 15 years ago, using the clear plastic so I
could see thru it...... I also made some foundation vents about every 25
feet
or so around the outside wall (pier and beam).

As of now, there is no rot, nor moisture buildup under the house. When
I go underneath to look for termites or plumbing leaks, or just to string
cables from one room to another, I don't get messed up.

Also, I put a string of lights, about 10 of the 100 watt bulbs around the
perimeter so I could plug it in when I go down there. Jusst some
outlets on a 100 ft pieced of ROMEX, tacked up to the joists, with a
cord and plug on one end which stays disconnected till I plug it in.

It is a BIG help. No mess, and I can see stuff well. No moisture , rot,
or fungus since the day it was put down.
\
I really reccommend this. Also, if you can do it when the house is being
constructed, it will save you a LOT of time........

Andy in Dallas

"Todd" wrote in message
m...
Last weekend I covered all the soil in the crawlspace with 4 mil black
plastic sheeting from Home Depot. It took about a day, including time
spent removing debris from the space (use a snow sled, works really
great for this purpose). I used 4 mil plastic. 6 mil might be
overkill, unless you put it in the areas where you might crawl more
often. I secured edges with large u-shaped staples from the garden
section at Home Depot.

Results were dramatic and almost instant: reduced humidity in the
crawlspace and in the house, reduced smell from the soil, no
condensation on the windows. Total expense was about $50.