Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Anti-soldering flux?

Bill wrote:

We used a soldering investment - something like this:
https://whipmix.com/products/soldering-investments/

Soldering investment can be used in very creative ways to make an
"index" that would hold your parts in a predermined relationship while
the actual brazing is done.

Here's a link to video of what was taught in dental schools 30 years ago
that you might be able to modify/adapt to fit your needs. It shows it
all. They're using hard, high strength, gold solder/braze. The brazing
temp is not far below the melting point of the gold being used.

Duralay, the material that was used to tempiorarily splint the bits
together is just a two part (liquid/powder) cold cure resin.

If you can find a suitable yellow colored, or gold solder, it might
eliminate most of the gray/silver discoloration that regular silver
solder can leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gcaGK5Zpnc

Soldering investment looks like exactly what's required. Whether I
have the manual dexterity to use it successfully is another matter
entirely. The part I want to re-attach is slightly smaller than the
dental fillings shown in the video, but the pull base and ring are
quite a bit larger. That's not a good combination.

The video was absolutely fascinating. I can now understand why dental
work is so expensive. Thank you very much for posting it.

bob prohaska