Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default workbench height

Dr. Deb wrote:
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 10:47:25 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

Because of back problems, I built my workbench about 37 1/2" high. That worked great for everything except planing. It took a trip to a Highland Hardware class to discover my bench was too high to plane effectively. My solution was to build a box, which slides under the bench when not in use, that gives me an effective workbench top of 34". Now, I can actually flatten boards on the work bench, rather than making them wedge shape.

I spent several minutes, at least, deciding how high I wanted the
workbench I was building to be. I decided on 40", exactly, AND, if I
ever wanted it shorter I could always trim the legs. I suppose you could
always extend the legs too, but that is not quite as simple.