Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default workbench height

On 10/14/2017 11:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

I use the palm technique too.
I do a lot of hand work. Planing, chiseling, hand sawing. When
Handsawing the hand should not be above the elbow for certain
cuts(dovetails especially).

For machine tool use, you can easily go higher, but not for hand tools.
For dovetailing I made a riser bench so I can chop dovetails I like it,
clamp it to the bench. I can sacrifice the top on that w/o feeling bad.

My bench is too heavy to lift, so I can't go up and down using risers
under the legs, but I don't regret my decision as I have another bench
2.5 inches higher if I need it. I prefer the lower most of the time.

--
Jeff