Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peabody[_4_] Peabody[_4_] is offline

Default Walkie Talkie battery replacement

I bought a set of Uniden GMR2240-2CK walkie talkies for a song on Ebay, and
at first everything looked perfect. But later one of the radios refused to
transmit, and showed a low battery indicator, earlier than it should have. I
switched the batteries between the radios, recharged both, and tested again.
The shutdown happened again, but the good news is the problem followed the
battery to the other radio. Well, the date code is 2211, so I think it's
time.

I see that I can buy a set of two replacement EBL brand battery packs (BP40)
on Ebay for under $8 delivered for the pair. I've always had good luck with
generic batteries, but I know others haven't. Has anyone here had experience
with these? Genuine Uniden replacements would be about $40.

And just to check my logic, it does make sense, doesn't it, that if the
problem follows the battery, then the battery is the problem, not the radio?
The thing that's curious is that if I wait a while after the shutdown, I can
fire up the radio again, and it shows a full battery indicator, and the thing
will run in listening mode for another hour or two. Maybe it's a heat
related connection issue inside the battery pack. I further assume that at
these prices for replacements, it makes no sense to try to replace the NiMH
AAA cells in the pack, particularly since I don't know for sure that the
problem isn't in the electronics inside the battery pack.