Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Quality AM radio

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 21:43:47 -0400, micky
wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 11:40:27 -0700,
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 21:46:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair, on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:52:42 -0700,
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:32:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair, on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 06:09:17 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 12:32:06 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 11:44:10 PM UTC-4, MOP CAP wrote:

Does anyone have a recomendation for a quality AM receiver? I have a
cabin in the low Sierras and have trouble receiving AM. I would prefer
one that would not require an outside antenna.
Thanks,
CP

Mpffff... This is an easy one. If you are looking, primarily, for good reception over top-notch sound (mostly wasted on AM anyway), and this is to be a single-purpose device, look for something like a solid-state GE "Super Radio" or similar. They are fair-enough sounding and far better than average at AM DXing capabilities. Low in cost for very good results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GE-S...AOSwbRJZvvX 8 I keep one of these at our summer house that is no slouch at all. The AM band is pretty busy, especially at night.

I've heard of the GE Superradio, but didn't think I needed anything more
at that time. Is the GE Superradio especially good on FM as well as
AM?

,,,,,
Hard-Core would be a Communications Receiver, something in the Hallicrafters, Collins or National lines - which are a whole different can of worms, do want an outside antenna, and likely will contain tubes rather than transistors.

I don't have the best antenna. I took 4-wire phone line, solder two
pair together at one end and one pair at the radio-end so it goes down
and back twice and it was stretched down the stairs. I think I should
more it to the attic.

And, one of these will truly separate fly-poop from pepper. Give it an 80' longwire and you will be getting AM from Hawaii - or thereabouts.

Counting back and forth twice, it's 80' or a little more. Maybe I
should shorten it to 80' ???

Peter Wieck

The old Vega/Ocean radios are very cheap dx sets. Some mericans might not like their origins. But don't worry, they don't run Kaspersky.

I run Kaspersky but I lie about what I'm doing so when they report back,
it will just confuse the Kremlin.

I thought all phone line wire was twisted pair.

All the indoor phone wire I've seen has been 4-wire untwisted. Red,
yellow, black, and green.

If that's the case
then I would think your setup would tend to keep radio waves, AKA
interference, out. Maybe that's why your antenna isn't working very
well.
Eric

Thanks but it's not twisted. My next-door neighbor is, but that's
another story.

You know, I was thinking about the solid phone wire, 4 conductors, two
twisted pairs, surrounded by a loose fitting jacket. The stuff you run
inside walls. But of course I didn't think enough 'cause then I would
have thought about the flat 4 conductor interior phone wire used for
extensions and the like. Duh.
Eric

My attempted shortwave antenna didn't use that either. It used the round
white wire with for separate, unattached conductors inside, each with
its own separate insulation. Don't you remember those days?

Yeah, I remember that wire. I though that the wires in them were
twisted pairs though. Not a very high rate of twist though. Are you
sure those wires aren't twisted pairs?
Eric