Tony Hwang

Default Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit-Please advise

Hi,
My present house was 100% developed when built by my custom builder.
B4 I used to finish basement myself. Our city has DIY permit for electrical
work and plumbing. Cost is minimal. It includes two inspections. This
goes on city record which means you met the code requirement.
If everything is done in private, there is no supporting document
whether the work was done per code. Insurance coimpany can pick on this as
their excuse. If they tell the owner, your wiring was sub standard which
caused fire. How can the owner counter that? My local government is not
like yours.
Tony

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Insurance company may care if they know about it when fire broke out.
Tony

Possibly if there were code violations that caused the fire. If the entire
house is destroyed, they'd never know anyway. When is the last time your
house was inspected by an insurance company?
Every 10 years the tax assessor makes a visit. Add a bathroom, pay more
taxes because the value went up. No on ever asked about permits though.
They just want the revenue. This year the evaluation was done over the
phone.
Ed