Charles Spitzer

Default Best way to re-glaze leaded glass windows

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I have leaded glass windows that need to be re-glazed. These windows have
about 45 3X3 inch pieces of glass. That's 180 sides for each window!! I
picked out as much of the old glazing from the windows using a dental

pick.
The remaining cavity around the glass is about 1/16" wide and about 1/32"
deep. So far, I've spent about an hour shoving the glaze into 6 pieces of
glass. I am using DAP 1012 glazing compound ("for use with metal framed
windows") and a narrow putty knife. I tried forming a "string" of glazing
compond, but it sticks to my hand, and even if I could get a good string,
it would probably break apart because it would be too thin.

There has to be an easier way. Can anyone give me some hints?

Thanks.

Dave
email doesn't work.

best way? remove it and do it flat like it was built originally.

possible way, since you can't remove it? try posting in rec.crafts.glass.
there's some pro's in there who do this for a living, and whilst it can be
done vertically, it's a lot harder and be expected to pay somewhat more for
it. the process is to take a lot of putty into a stiff natural bristle
brush, and work it into the came. you then wait a bit for it to harden, and
then use whiting in a different, new, scrub brush to remove the excess.
repeat on the other side.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az