Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Power lights in loft from lighting circuit help please

On 14/10/2017 15:44, Yam man wrote:
replying to John Rumm, Yam man wrote:
Thanks for the help advise will update how I get on. I'm glad there's still
some helpful people out there. Cheers again. I'm adding the fused switch to
the socket spur then in future I just need to add to that is this
correct? Is
there limit to the amount of sockets took from fused spur? Thanks again

You can take any number of sockets from a fused spur, since the fuse
will protect the spur cable from overload. There is a practical limit on
how many sockets you add this way though since you can only support a
maximum of around 3kW total load spread over all the sockets on your
spur. Obviously as a designer you will need to decide what is
appropriate based on the expected use.

With an unfused spur, when you are normally taking the spur in single
run of 2.5mm^2 cable, sing you need some additional overload protection
since the 32A MCB at the origin of the circuit won't do it. So in this
situation you can acquire the required protection simply by limiting the
maximum load that can be placed on the spur - allowing only one single
or one double socket.

You could also extend the ring - which you can do at a single connection
point if you want. Then you can have as many sockets as you want so long
as the total floor area served does not exceed 100m^2:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ket_extensions

--
Cheers,

John.